Find Lost phone or Device: Finding a stolen or lost phone(smartphone) has never been easy. Most times someone loses their phone the first few minutes the person tends to be angry about the value of the phone. However, after some minutes it turns out to be about the valuable documents, contacts, Message history and most especially media which holds their photos videos most memories they would have loved to keep.
Precautions to take Once you get a New Device or Smartphone.
I will advise every smartphone user to regularly back up their;
– Device contacts – using google i.e their Gmail accounts or yahoo.
– Photos, Videos, Notes, and Documents – Using Google, Dropbox or probably your laptop ( if you’re so concerned about your data.)
Note: Backing up your files, media or documents online is always the best as you can access it anywhere in the world.
You might as well want to install some tracking and monitoring application on your Android or iOS device for the safety of the phone in case of theft. that is an effective way to easily recover your device if stolen/lost or misplaced.
What if I have a smartphone but did not install any tracking or monitoring application on your smartphone before it was stolen or misplaced; What do I do? How can I recover my stolen/ lost phone? Can I still get my lost smartphone back?
Well, the answer is YES.
To Find a lost phone or Device you can use a feature called “Google Find My Device”. It is almost in every Android Smartphone or Device now. it has all the features below;
- shows the location of a phone
- can make the phone beep even if is silent.
- send/display message/Phone number on the screen while the Device is still locked.
- Wipe the phone totally so that the person won’t have access to information, files or documents on the phone.
How does Google Find My Phone Work?
Once you’ve signed into your google account on any android device as the androids default google account, Google Find My phone is Automatically on.
How to Check that Find My Device is on
If you turned off Find My Device or want to check to make sure is on :
- Open your device’s Settings app Settings app.
- Tap Security & Location. (If you don’t see “Security & Location,” tap Google and then Security.)
- Tap Find My Device.
- Turn on Remotely locate this device and Allow remote lock and erase.
If you have a tablet that people share, only the tablet’s owner can change these settings.
To Find Lost phone or Device the Device must
- Be turned on
- have been signed in to a Google Account
- Be connected to mobile data or Wi-Fi
- Have Location turned on ( to effectively pinpoint the location)
- Have Find My Device turned on
How to Find Lost phone or Device using Google Find my device.
1. Goto https://www.google.com/android/find on any desktop or phone connected to the internet. or type in the phrase “Google Find My Device” on any search engine, you will see the URL for the google find my phone there.
2. Log-in with the Same Google account Active on the stolen/lost smartphone. e.g if [email protected] was active on the missing device, please kindly use that to achieve your goal.
3. Upon successful log-in, you would be faced with a dashboard similar to the one below.
On the dashboard, you can track as many devices that are connected to the Google account — as long as the devices are online and connected to the internet.
4. Select the device you wish to track as you might have many devices using the same email, just select appropriately.
Once a device is selected, you have this options to carry out remotely on the Stolen/lost or missing device.
– Ring the device: play sound on the device for as long, even if the phone is set to silent.
– Secure Device: remotely lock the pioneer with a new security code and display a recovery message on the device’s screen.
– Erase device: if the information on the missing device is way too sensitive, you can delete all the information on the device with just one click.
Note: Do know that once you remotely erase the device data, you will no longer be able to track the device.
Google Find My Device
On the Google Find my Device dashboard, you will find some pieces of information about your Stolen/lost or the missing device like the phone/device model, Battery percentage and the last time it was online; with an embedded map by the right, you can pinpoint exactly where the phone is been used.
The Google Find my device Feature is a very useful feature although there are other applications that can do same and maybe even more, google find my feature is a great feature that can easily be used by just anybody with ease.
The Google Find my device feature can currently be used to track and recover Android phones, tablets, and smartphones. Maybe you use an iOS device and you like this feature. Just know that the iOS device, have their own Find my own feature by Apple and can also be accessed just like Google’s. Maybe I will write about the iOS Find my Device later. Enjoy your smart devices and always remember to Backup your document, files on a regular base.